Nicoló Filippo Rosso (b. 1985) is an Italian documentary photographer based in Colombia. He graduated with a degree in Literature at the Universitá Degli Studi Di Torino, in Italy. In 2011, he became interested in photography while living in an indigenous community in the Putumayo region, in the Amazon basin.
His work is committed to long-term projects and he works on editorial assignments for clients such as Bloomberg News, The Washington Post, BusinessWeek, Le Point, Der Spiegel, Sette Corriere, Vice, Internazionale, Il Reportage and for international NGOs such as Americares, and Catholic Relief Services (CRS).
Since 2016, Nicoló has been documenting the impact of the exploitation of coal on the land and the people of Colombia’s La Guajira peninsula. This work has been exhibited worldwide, and it has appeared in numerous magazines and newspapers’ publications.
Currently he is mostly dedicated to document the migration of Venezuelans who cross the border with Colombia heading to other Latin-American countries.
AWARDS and EXPOSURE
- World Press Photo, Contemporary Issues, Stories, 2020
- Personal exhibition at Maison du développement durable, in Montreal (Canada), 2019
- Finalist at Prix Lucas Dolega (France), 2019
- Personal exhibition at UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, in Washington D.C. (US), 2019
- Finalist at Alexia Grant (US), 2019
- Exhibition at ZOOM Photo Festival, Saguenay (Canada), 2019
- Photographer nominated at 6x6 World Press Global Talent Program, 2019
- Selected photographer at Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma training, New York (US) 2019
- Winner at Humane Nature, ZOOM Photo Festival, Saguenay (Canada) 2019
- Exhibition at Indian Photography Festival, Hyderabad (India) 2019
- Honorable mention at Moscow International Photo Award, (Russia) 2019
- Winner professional photography award at REVISTA, the Harvard Review of Latin America, (US), 2018
- Photographer nominated at World Press Masterclass, 2018
- Personal exhibition at Melaka Art Gallery (Colombia), 2018
- Eddie Adams Workshop, 2017
- Personal exhibition at Uniminuto University (Colombia), 2017
- Personal exhibition at University of Antioquia, (Colombia), 2017
- Personal exhibition at Valenzuela-Klenner Gallery (Colombia), 2017
- Finalist at Kolga Tiblisi Photo Festival, (Georgia) 2016
- Personal exposition at Valenzuela-Klenner Gallery (Colombia), 2015
- Finalist at National Geographic Contest (Italy), 2013